Software Engineer for Biomedical Data Sciences
In order to complete the team of the newly established Biomedical Data Science Center at the Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV), we are looking for a Software Engineer.
The Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) is one of five Swiss university hospitals. Through its collaboration with the Faculty of Biology and Medicine of the University of Lausanne and the EPFL, CHUV plays a leading role in the areas of medical care, medical research and training.
The Biomedical Data Science Center (BDSC), established in 2021 and directed by Pr. Raphael Gottardo, is a new service, teaching and translational research platform within the Lausanne University Hospital and the University of Lausanne. Our aim is to develop and apply computer and statistical methods for analyzing large amounts of genomic, clinical and experimental data to accelerate medical discoveries. Working with us, you will join a dynamic and growing team of scientists, data scientists and engineers; and, you will be part of major national and international scientific collaborations, studying some of the most significant medical problems that we face today (cancer, COVID, HIV, etc.).
- You will support the development of data pipelines and computational tools to study large biomedical datasets
- You will work on software development, primarily related to annotation and analysis of high-throughput biological data using R, C and/or C++
- You will help maintain pipelines and software libraries
- You will also participate in Bioconductor activities involved with user interaction such as: technical support contact through the Bioconductor mailing list, new feature requests and training courses or annual conferences
- You will be an integral part of the development and growth of the new Biomedical Data Science Center.
- You are a confident software developer (with a degree in computer science, bioinformatics, physics, engineering, or related discipline) and you are curious about molecular biology
- You are very familiar with programming languages, such as C and R, with knowledge of statistical concepts and computational methods
- You are experienced with software development best practices (use of version control, unit tests, containers, computer clusters, agile project management, and creation of end-user documentation); an ability to implement reusable, user-directed software is a plus
- You are familiar with managing high-volume data
- You are fluent in English (knowledge of French would be a plus)
- You are a team player that thinks creatively and have good communication skills.
The Lausanne University Hospital is located in the vibrant city of Lausanne, one of the most cultural and economic dynamic cities in Switzerland. Our new center is part of the main Hospital campus, and benefits from direct interactions with scientists and clinicians located here (including at the new AGORA cancer cluster). We are also two metro stations from the Biopole life sciences campus that hosts a large number of research groups and life sciences companies. You will work in a fantastic environment where fundamental and clinical research meet to accelerate new breakthroughs that will ultimately transform patient care. Our organization aims to make the world a better place, and we strongly believe in healthy work-life balance. As a group, we value inclusion and a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to inform our work. We believe in supporting each other through mentorship and providing resources for professional development.
To become an employee of the world-famous University Hospital Center from the Canton of Vaud is an assurance of :
- First degree social benefits and 20-days paternity leave
- Regular salary progression adapted to responsibilities
- 13th salary guaranteed and 25 days of vacation per year
- A right to a minimum of three days of training per year, with access to a wide offer within the CHUV Training Center and through external partners of the State of Vaud
- Possibility to access one of the 500 furnished apartments offered in the surrounding neighborhoods in case of relocation
- Social, cultural and economic benefits offered to members of the H-Oxygène association
- Benefits offered as part of the Mobility Plan (discounts on public transport subscriptions, promotion of “Mobility” vehicles and discounts on the purchase of electric bicycles)
- Corporate restaurants of hotel quality, in the hospital buildings, with preferential rates.
Contact et envoi de candidature
Contact for information on the function : Dr. Raphael Gottardo, Direction générale au 021 314 10 36
As our applications are processed electronically, would you please apply exclusively by internet, with the « POSTULER » button, at the bottom of the ad. If for any technical reason, you are not able to do it, we invite you to contact our recruitment team, which will assist you (contact : 021.314.85.70).
The CHUV applies the highest quality requirements as part of its recruitment process. In addition, mindful to promote the diversity of our employees we are attentive to the different life courses and strive to ensure equal treatment and avoid any discrimination. We are looking forward to receiving your application.
We thank in advance the employment agencies to take note that applications inserted by them directly on our recruitment platform are not accepted and cannot be billed. Thank you for your understanding.